Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some answers to some commonly asked commercial truck insurance questions.


What makes us different?

With 1st Guard you deal directly with your insurance company. There’s no agent or middleman taking a cut of your premium. As a result, we can offer you very competitive rates. Plus, if you have a claim you will deal directly with our in-house licensed truck insurance adjusters. Our people do nothing but work on truck claims all day long. They’re experts at getting you back on the road fast. More than that, when you call 1st Guard real people still answer the phone. You won’t have to navigate through ten menu items to speak with someone. If you need something after hours you can always manage your account online 24/7.

Bundled physical damage insurance with my truck loan?

Almost never! Not only will you pay a higher premium, but you will most likely pay interest charges as well. Furthermore, the salesman usually earns an additional commission for packaging insurance with your note. Before committing to this type of arrangement, call us today at (800) 995-4827 learn more about our physical damage truck insurance. You'll be surprised how much you can save when you buy your truck insurance direct!

Any tips for reducing my premiums?

You bet! Check out the Truck Insurance Features or call us today at (800) 995-4827. Let our customer service agents walk you through your options.

What is the difference between bobtail and non-trucking liability?

Driving a truck without a trailer is referred to as bobtailing. Bobtail liability insurance covers you when you are bobtailing, and provides coverage regardless of whether you are driving the truck for personal or business use. Non-Trucking liability truck insurance provides a permanently leased owner operator with a limited form of liability protection. Specifically, it applies when a covered vehicle is operated solely for personal and non-economic purposes. Non-trucking liability truck insurance never applies when an owner operator pulls a loaded trailer, operates on behalf of a trucking company or uses a vehicle for any revenue generating purpose like trip leasing.

Why do I need to have Non-Trucking Liability?

Most motor carrier lease agreements require owner/operators to purchase non-trucking liability insurance. The agreement relieves the motor carrier of financial responsibility when you are not under the direction of the motor carrier, and the vehicle is operated solely for personal and non-economic purposes.

Does your towing cover breakdown?

1st Guard will cover the full cost of towing your vehicle to the nearest capable repair facility in the case of an accident where your vehicle is rendered inoperable due to a covered loss.

How much is the down payment?

Most insurance companies want 6 months of premium up front to start a policy. At 1st Guard, we charge you monthly. Depending on what day of the month you start your coverage, a percentage of your monthly premium would be required to start your coverage.

What is your cancellation policy?

There can be many reasons you might need to cancel your truck insurance with 1st Guard. We understand the trucking industry, and know how quickly things can change. If you need to cancel your insurance, just give us a call at (800) 995-4827. We will get you a pro-rated refund for any of your unused premium.


Do we insure very high value tractors?

Look no further! 1st Guard can insure equipment up to $300,000 in value. Only a handful of tractor and tractor trailer combinations would exceed this limit. In most cases 1st Guard can accommodate the high value truck insurance needs of leased owner operators.

I have a loan on my truck, and my lienholder/finance company wants proof of my truck insurance coverage. What should I send them?

Lienholders/finance companies want proof of your physical damage truck insurance coverage. Just give us a call and we’ll handle this for you. You can download proof of your physical damage truck insurance coverage on-line and fax or email it to anyone you wish.


Can I keep my coverage if I change trucking companies?

Usually yes, and better yet, your rate should not change. However, circumstances differ that may affect your policy premium. Please remember that it is extremely important that you notify us any time you change companies.

Can my trucking company force me to purchase truck insurance through their in-house insurance program?

Generally, no. Many trucking companies offer an insurance program that is deducted from your settlement for convenience. Most of the time you are able to buy your own truck insurance. Check with your company first. Then call us and see just how much you can save.

Go To Top Of Page