1st Guard Commercial Truck Insurance
From the Beginning
1st Guard Corporation started in 1937, as a Detroit based insurance agency.
Initially the company sold general lines’ insurance to small businesses. It later
created a truck insurance division to supplement its general lines' sales.
Mr. Edmund B. Campbell, Jr. purchased the company in 1965. Recognizing the
potential of the truck insurance division, he directed a larger share of the agency’s
resources to developing insurance products for independent truckers. His efforts
culminated in 1969, when Mr. Campbell, Jr. divested the general lines’ portion of
the agency. That made 1st Guard Corporation an exclusive provider of truck insurance
programs for owner operators, and the company has never looked back.
In 1991, Mr. Campbell, Jr. sold the company to his son, Mr. Edmund B. Campbell, III.
Under Mr. Campbell, III the company embarked upon a growth and automation strategy that
led to the formation of First Guard Insurance Company (rated “A” by AM BEST). By
writing business directly rather than through agents and brokers, First Guard Insurance
Company enjoys one of the lowest cost structures in the insurance industry. This in
turn translates into lower premiums for owner operators.
Biglari Holdings Inc.
acquired the 1st Guard organization in 2014. The advent of a publicly traded parent
company presents new opportunities for growth and innovation, but the traditions
and people that made 1st Guard the leader in owner operator truck insurance remain